Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Bicycle touring Spain/Portugal 20Feb- 14 March 2024

The long wait is over. Cannot believe its 5 years since I toured in Spain. Had trip planned in 2020 when I dislocated my shoulder 1 week before travelling. Then the Covid lockdown came for almost 2 years and ended my plans. After that Knee problems and Cataract surgery further delayed by trip. Anyway things being good booked flight to Faro, Portugal on 20th February 2024 and returning from Alicante, Spain on 14th March 2024. My Journey would take me from Faro to Seville via Vila Real and Ayomonte and then on to Algodonales, Ronda, Marbella, Malaga, Almeria, Aquillas, Mazarron, Cartagena , Santa Pola and finally Alicante airport. This time I combined Camping with Hostals and rest days (so as not to cause injury to my knees). What a joy the journey was with glorious weather with only a few hours of rain overnight in Seville and Mazarron. I was amazed at the courtesy of Spanish drivers with regard to passing cyclists. How I love Spain. This was a hilly route particularly from Seville to Ronda and towards Marbella and also from Almeria to Cartagena but I love the hills . My legs are not as strong nowadays but at 76years I coped well. Overall the journey was 1089kms. Arriving into Faro, Portugal
Homeward Bound from Alicante, Spain

No comments: